Ideas come from all sorts of places, but it takes a special person to recognize the ramifications of those ideas. That is what innovation is all about. People had been watching apples fall from trees for thousands of years before Sir Isaac Newton watched the apple’s acceleration during its fall and realized that the same force was at work keeping the moon in orbit around the Earth. While not all innovators have that sudden flash of insight—the apocryphal apple conking Sir Isaac in the head, Archimedes’ overflowing bath, or Kekulé’s dream of the benzene carbon ring—what is true is that innovators are as predisposed toward finding solutions from existing tools as they are capable of creating new tools; they see what others have missed, building on prior work to make something entirely new.
Top Innovators is Seattle Business’ celebration of the spark of innovation. Whether an inventor creates a new device or an entrepreneur creates a new market, these are the people and innovations we will be watching.
The Top Innovators of 2010:
- Brad E. Meyers, B.E. Meyers Electro Optics
- Jackie Heinricher, Booshoot Gardens
- John Saw, Clearwire
- Karl Schoene, David Lamar and James Batdorf, InEnTec
- Jeff Ledbetter and Martha Hayden-Ledbetter, Kaleetan Pharmaceuticals
- Tom Nugent, Jordin Kare and Dave Bashford, LaserMotive
- John Peers and Iain Mackie, Lightfleet
- Alex Kipman, Microsoft
- Alexander Tokman and Sid Madhavan, Microvision
- Dustin Miller and Daniel Rossi, Nanocel Inc.
- Glen J. Bertini, Novinium
- Erez Barak, Optify
- Jim Schlosser and Cody Petersen, Pacinian
- Shwetak Patel, University of Washington/Zensi
- Todd Ostrander and Minoru Taya, Vitriosic
- Our Board of Advisers