This undated photograph of bustle and commerce at Pike Place Market predates 1912, when the two-story Corner Market was erected at First Avenue and Pike Street, replacing the one-story building topped here with billboards.
In this view, looking northeast from where Pike Street turns north to become Pike Place, left, horsedrawn farm wagons were already giving way to speedier motorized conveyances. (Ford’s Model T was introduced in 1908, a year after the founding of Pike Place Market.)
Pike Place and Pike Street are named for a carpenter, John Pike, who, in 1861, helped construct the Territorial University of Washington — precursor to the University of Washington — at Fourth Avenue and University Street, where the Fairmont Olympic Hotel now stands. Pike was a friend of city pioneer Arthur A. Denny, who platted Seattle. For his services, Pike was paid in land and everlasting “street cred.”
See additional photos from the UW Special Collection below:
Credit: Earl B. Depue, University of Washington Special Collections, SEA0468
Fruit and vegetable vendors in Pike Place Market in 1917.
Credit: University of Washington Special Collections, SOC9176
Meat cutters help customers at Dan’s Meats in Pike Place Market in in 1935.